Stand under ancient live oaks, dripping with Spanish Moss, and hear moving stories of the marginalized people who stood there before you–enslaved Africans, Native Americans, German farmers, and Acadians (Cajuns). This multifaceted, multi-sensory historical tour was created and is hosted by Dianne "Gumbo Marie" Honore, a descendant of Jean Baptiste Destrehan, the father of the original owner of Destrehan Plantation, and an enslaved African woman named Genevieve Bienville. This promises to be the highlight of your Louisiana vacation.
On this tour you will:
Demonstrations happen along the way and can include:
Tour lagniappe includes:
- Interactive music demonstrations with audience participation
- Group discussions on the contributions of African, Acadian, German, Italian, and French musical rhythms and instrumentation
This special two (2) hour tour is offered every Saturday at 10:15 am and every Monday at 10:15 am. If you would like to schedule a special day and time. please contact our office at (985) 764-9315, ext. 103. Group tours (20 people and over) are available by appointment only. See Group Tours for more information.
Unheard Voices Tour
Before you come, please note the following:
- AAA and Military discounts are available for up to two people. You must present your military I.D. or AAA card upon arrival.
- This special two (2) hour tour is offered every Saturday at 10:15 am and every Monday at 10:15 am.
- Groups of 20 or more people require a reservation. See Group Tours for more information.
- All major credit cards accepted
- Photography is welcomed at Destrehan Plantation as long as it does not delay the tour.
- Video and audio taping are prohibited during guided tours.
- Cancellation Policy: If you cannot make the tour, we require notice in writing/email 24 hours before the date of the tour. We do not refund any no-shows.
Buy Tickets & Gift Cards